Morgan Mill was built by James Madison Morgan in the
1850s on the side of a mountain, west of Brevard, in Transylvania county, North Carolina.
“Big Jim” was the son of Squire Morgan, who emigrated from Wales. Jim struck out in 1848, to seek his fortune in Texas, just as the Republic was gaining statehood.
He drove a herd of horses to Texas and sold them, when he arrived. He worked as a blacksmith in Houston for 10 years, and returned with $10,000 in gold, packed in a money belt.
He bought a section of land, and set to work building the mill.
After Jim’s death, his son, George P. Morgan inherited the mill, and operated it for years, grinding corn for area farms.
George sold the mill during the Great Depression and moved the family to Asheville.
The mill continued in operation until the 1980s under the direction of its old miller, Albert McKinney, until his death.
The structure fell into disrepair, and was leveled by the owners in the early years of the 21st century.
As of June, 2008, the only reminder that the mill existed, was the massive, overshot waterwheel, its buckets rusted through. There is now just a bare spot, where the millhouse once stood.
Big Jim and his family are buried in the cemetery at nearby Mt. Moriah Baptist Church in Rosman.
His father, Squire Morgan, the patriarch of the family, is buried about a mile away in the cemetery at Cathey’s Creek Baptist Church.